Saturday, August 20, 2011

Onion and Cabbage Pakoras

Today Little Betty was in the kitchen cooking some Indian food...yum! I've made onion and cabbage pakoras before and they were gone within an hour of making them. So I made them again, and the same thing happened. Pakoras contain protein since they use gram flour, a flour made from ground chickpeas. Gram flour is also known as chickpea flour, garbanzo flour, or besan. It's a staple ingredient in Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi cuisines.


I fry my pakoras in extra virgin olive oil, because I love the taste the olive oil adds. I also love the health benefits extra virgin olive oil has over other oils typically used for frying.




Ingredients:
1) 1 large onion
2) 3 bunches of green onions
3) 1 pound bag of coleslaw mix
4) 1 1/2 cup chickpea flour (also known as besan, gram flour, and garbanzo flour)
5) 1 tablespoon salt
6) 1/2 cup water
7) 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
8) Extra virgin olive oil to fry

Instructions:
Chop the onion and combine it with the coleslaw mix in the bowl. Slowly add the besan and mix. Add the water slowly. Stir and mix until they all come together. It should not be too dry or too runny. If the mix is too dry, the pakoras won't stick together in a ball, however if the mix is too wet, you'll end up with pancake-style pakoras.


Heat the olive oil and add the pakora mix, one heaping tablespoon at a time. Wait until golden brown. You can serve pakoras with ketchup if you wish, however I'm not a ketchup-fan, so I just eat my pakoras plain. Pakoras taste similar to onion rings, although they are much healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment